Monday, March 10, 2008

My first time...

This is my first ever blog and I'm hoping that I don't screw it up. I've been reading all kinds of blogs and finally decided to give it a try. I don't have anything really important to say, but I got some entertainment out of reading about other people's day-to-day existence, so I thought someone might see some humor in mine. I suppose I'm going to end up using this as a kind of journal... it doesn't really matter if anyone else reads it or not, I guess.

About the title and address (commonsensehasnoplacehere). I am a law enforcement officer in Iowa, and, as most cops know, common sense is ruthlessly stamped out by our bosses. And, of course, I'm just livin' the dream ;)

I won't say where I work or what capacity I work in - I don't want this to get back to my bosses or friends. I will change names and places so that I can't be identified, but no so much that the stories lose their basic truthfulness.

A little bit about me - I'm married to a cop (we don't work for the same department) and we have 1 young daughter. Because we work crazy hours, we can go for long stretches where we don't need a sitter and then go into times where I don't see her for three or four days because she stays with my parents or his.

I've been a cop for about 10 years and sometimes I think I've seen it all. Of course, that's when something nuts happens and reminds me of the depths of stupidity the human race sinks into on occasion.

Being a female in this profession has been an eye-opener. I'm not the kind of woman that expects to be handed things because I'm a member of a protected class. I'm the kind that passes all of the physical fitness tests by the male standards because, in my opinion, that is the one truly fair way to measure all of us. We all do the same job, we should have the same standards.

No comments: